10 May 2021

New Hope City: PI

So the first system I am going to try is New Hope City: PI (NHCPI) designed by Two Hour Wargames (THW).

There are a few reasons for this, first is that my first real introduction to solo gaming was with THW's Larger Than Life, a pulp miniatures ruleset that first focused on playing a single character and going on what would be recognisable as an adventure. It was from that I discovered their 5150 New Beginnings rules and then after that Mythic GME from which I have never looked back.

Well NHCPI takes the cyberpunk-ish city from New Beginnings and adds an investigation method to it. As all THW games are written for solo/co-op play this means the rules are designed to work for solo players too!

So, what are they like on first look?

Quite table heavy, although I don't mind that, particularly as a lot of it is in the initial generation of the crime.

Abstract clue based. So to 'solve' a crime you need to find/solve a certain number of clues (the amount is variable and set by the type of crime and then a random roll). There is no assistance in what these clues and connections are.

My next post will be a walkthrough of my first crime, and an introduction to the first members of the Mayhem Police Department (the name I chose for the city based on a World Works Games printable terrain and RPGGeek search).

No comments:

Post a Comment